Energy-Saving Car Care Tips
Tips and Helpful hints to keep your car running smoothly and trouble-free.
- After starting the engine, it is best to drive immediately. Idling can cause pollution and excessive fuel consumption.
- Depress the accelerator gently to drive away and change to a higher gear in time.
- Do not approach traffic lights at full speed. If it is clear that you will have to stop, begin slowing down well in advance.
- Driving at high speed (over 50 mph and especially over 60 mph) uses more fuel and causes more pollution.
- Avoid drag. Where possible keep all windows closed and ensure that the doors, bonnet (hood), and boot (trunk) are securely fastened.
- To drive economically, you need to maintain a sufficient distance between your car and the vehicle ahead. This way there is less need to react suddenly, and you can brake and accelerate more smoothly.
- On bends, reduce speed in time and accelerate smoothly when you are halfway through a bend. Late, heavy braking before a bend followed by rapid acceleration leads to excessive fuel consumption.
- If you watch the roads ahead and anticipate any likely problems, your driving style will become smoother and better controlled.
- Tires in good condition and at the right pressure improve both safety and fuel consumption. Be sure to check your tires regularly.
- Ensure your car is properly and regularly maintained. Poor engine lubrication, wheel alignment and poorly adjusted brakes can increase fuel consumption.